As a member you’ll want to make the most of your membership.
• Friends of the Lake District Annual General Meeting (AGM) is your chance to tell us
what you think. Members can vote on key issues, and a programme of events gives you
the opportunity to see some of the Friend's work. Each year the AGM is held at a
different location in Cumbria.
• Join us at one of our members events and find out more about our properties or the
Environmental Improvement Grants we have given across Cumbria.
• Attend our annual public lecture. Thanks to a generous endowment made to Friends of
the Lake District by Mr J L Kirby, we hold the Kirby Lecture in either September or
October each year. Past speakers have included Sir Martin Holdgate, Robert
Swan OBE, Cameron McNeish, Sue Clifford from Common Ground and Sir Chris Bonington CBE.
• Visit all six areas of land owned by Friends of the Lake District in Cumbria. New
Property leaflets are being developed for each property. The first to be completed are for
Little Asby and High Borrowdale. See Our Land sections.
• Keep in touch with our work through our magazine Conserving Lakeland, our annual report and by signing up to our e-newsletter. As a charity, we simply couldn't protect the landscapes that are precious to us all without our members. Thank you.
• Pay for your membership by Direct Debit and receive a discount – paying this way costs
us less in administration so means that more of your subscription can be spent directly
on campaigning. Please contact the office for a direct debit form.
• Gift Aid – giving Friends of the Lake District more money without spending a penny.
Please contact the office for more details.
• Making a donation
• Give your time – volunteer
• Consider Friends of the Lake District in your Will – legacy
• Give a gift membership to a friend or relative
Members are entitled to 2 for 1 entry at a number of historic attractions in Cumbria. These include:
- Brantwood - the home of John Ruskin (www.brantwood.org.uk)
- Dalemain House - medieval, tudor and georgian home (www.dalemain.com)
- Holker Hall - magnificent 25 acre gardens (www.holker.co.uk)
- Hutton in the Forest - historic house and gardens (www.hutton-in-the-forest.co.uk)
Our Corporate Member Cotswold Outdoor is also offering a 10% discount to all members at its stores nationwide.
Not a member yet?
If these events appeal to you why not consider joining Friends of the Lake District. Click here to find out more about what it means to be a member.
If you are already a member of the Friends of the Lake District - thank you. You play an important part in protecting the landscapes of Cumbria and the Lake District and what a difference you have made so far:
Each year about £60,000 is distributed through our Environmental Improvement Grants scheme to help communities in Cumbria enhance their landscapes.
Through the Flora of the Fells Project many school children have learnt and continue to learn about their local countryside
Our recent purchase of land at The Helm, Kendal, has opened a new area of community space.
Our Farming Landscapes project raises awareness of local produce and the link between farming, food and the landscape.
In 2011 our volunteers contributed more than 3,500 hours of their time towards our work.
Young farmers are learning the traditional countryside crafts of dry stone walling and hedging through our annual competitions.
Join online here
Buy gift membership online
Download a Membership form here
Download a Gift Membership form here